Gunpowder Falls State Park (nearly 18,000 acres in Harford and Baltimore Counties) was established to protect the stream valleys of the Big and Little Gunpowder Falls and the Gunpowder River, which begins at Days Cove where the Big and Little Gunpowders converge. A variety of topography exists in this long, narrow park, from tidal marshes and wetlands to steep, rugged slopes. There are more than 100 miles of trails, including the 21 mile Northern Central Railroad (NCR) Trail.




We arrived to the park, greeted by a Hog Nose Snake, this one native to Maryland

The 1772 merchant gristmill (Jerusalem Mill) renovated as the park headquarters and visitor center is on the national register of historic places.

The small two-story "Gun Factory" is located behind the mill building, where, during the American Revolution, Lee made gunstocks for the Maryland Militia. In later years, the building also housed, at different times, a cabinet maker's shop, a cider mill and a cannery

Inside the arms factory.

Also inside the arms factory.

Upstairs in the arms factory looking down to the fellows dressed in period costumes.

In back of the arms factory....

...looking back to the grist mill.

Ladies dressed in period clothing playing instruments and song of colonial times.

One lovely path at the park.

In back of the blacksmilth shop.

The Jericho covered bridge, built in about 1865, is an important part of the Village.
This is an opportunity to walk back in time through the hills surrounding the historic Jerusalem Village. This village is one of the many water-powered mill sites that bordered the Little Gunpowder Falls, just like those on the Big Gunpowder Falls. However, this site, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, is unusual because it has so many remaining structures from its earlier days.

Maryland State Flower,
The Black-Eyed Susan
Other historic buildings in the village include a blacksmith shop, gun shop, country store, tenant home and mansion. The beginning of the trail runs in the former millrace for Jerusalem Mill and visits remnants of the former millpond dam, waste gate and other stone structures.
Back to the Parks Page | Xerraire's Home Page